Starting the series of quick DIY Christmas gifts to complete in an afternoon we have an all times classic: tile-based coasters.
Last year I did some coasters for my childhood girlfriends and I could tell that they were delighted by having a customized (and useful) gift, besides of the fact that we all have reached that point in our lives when we start worrying about not damaging our furniture (yes, that means young days are gone)
Today I'm sharing 3 simple recipes to create customized coasters for our loved ones that are either nostalgic, love a band/singer or simply those that find the meaning of happiness at the bottom of a bottle (hey, who are we to judge? not me considering that I used to watch The Kardashians therefore I'll leave it to you to chose your own guilty pleasures)
Supplies needed for all versions:
-Felt or Mounting tape (Scotch mounting tape is the easiest to find in stores)
*You can create your mod podge mixing 2 parts of glue with 1 part of water
Recipe 1) Nostalgic (for your mom/aunt/grandma/etc)
Additional supplies: Old pictures copies (you can always scan your old albums)
1) Print/Crop your pictures to a 4*4 inches size if you want them to cover the entire tile, or if you want them to have a Polaroid vibe I'd recommend them to be adjusted to 3*2 inches
2) Sand your tile until it's not smooth anymore (you'll feel how it turns porous)
3) Apply modge podge with a brush to the top of the tile and the back of the picture, then place the picture over the tile
4) Apply 2 more coats of mod podge to the tile covering the picture and let it dry
5) Turn it waterproof by applying a coat of clear lacquer
6) Once dry add little pieces of felt/ mounting tape to the back of the tile, this will avoid the tile to damage your table surface.
Repeat as required.
Recipe 2) Music Fan (the easiest one)
Additional Supplies: Album covers/Illustrations
1) Print your favorite album cover or any illustration with the preferred band/singer in a 4*4 inches size
2) Follow steps 2-6 from Nostalgic coasters
Recipe # 3) Booze lover's
- Acrylic Paint
-Blue Painters Tape
1) Sand your tile to allow paint to easily adhere to the tile
2) Using the blue painter tape create a margin
3) Paint your tile with your favorite color, 2 coats must be enough to completely cover it (you can sand your tile a little after it dries if you want it to have a "messy" look)
4) Print a design in your vinyl, I created some kind of "Booze table of elements" that includes Vodka, Whiskey, Gin, etc but you can print any beverage you prefer.
5) Place your vinyl over your painted tile pressing over until it gets glued.
6) Remove the painters tape and apply the clear lacquer
7) Once dry add little pieces of felt/ mounting tape to the back of the tile, this will avoid the tile to damage your table surface.
And voilá!, instant customized presents for your buddies.
I love the 3 recipes and although I've received more requests of the Booze lovers version I think that my favorite is the music fan recipe MAYBE because those Beatles coasters were a gift from my boyfriend (insert love-eyed emoji here)
I will probably be doing some more nostalgic coasters for my mom, moms always love to see pictures of us when we were babies, probably because it reminds them how easy was to deal with us in those days hahaha.
Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this DIY I'd love to know which one you would prefer doing and which one you'd like to receive for Christmas, so please let your comments below.