Last week I attended a big jewelry event, there were hundreds of stands of all kind of jewels: rings, bracelets, necklaces, you name it, I was there searching for some suppliers for my business but I also wanted to get inspiration for a DIY that I've been dreaming about lately.
If you are anything like me you probably have zillions of unused/ forgotten pieces of jewelry waiting to be found or at least remembered, it's such a shame because once you go dig in your treasure box you might found THE perfect necklace/pair of earrings for the outfit you used the week before.
I've decided that I'll find as many ways as possible to make sure that all these amazing items are handy and most important, used!
Today's project is for those special necklaces that you reserve for special occasions
DIY Perfect Display for Fancy Necklaces
Time required: 60 minutes (or less)
- A piece of wood, just make sure it's as width as your necklace(s)
- Second ruler
- Hand sew
- Brush -not pictured (not sure why I always forget to include something in the supplies picture)
Let's do this:
1) Place your necklaces on your wood table and get the the desired height:
2) Mark one extreme of the wood table and trace a line to the other edge to help you get a straight cut:
3) Using your hand sew follow the marked line to cut it:
4) Place your necklaces again over the wood table and now put some marks on the left edge where each necklace will be hold:
5) Use the ruler to mark the right edge to assure they are at the same height:
6) Use a second ruler to mark the depth of the cut, I marked squares of 4mm * 4mm:
7) Using your hand sew cut over the marked edges:
8) Once cuts are done it's time to apply the varnish, as I didn't want it to be glossy I chose a semi-matte finish varnish:
9) If you are new in the varnish world like me just take in consideration that it's recommended to apply it drawing "lines", this will help to get an even result. Don't get scared if it seems that the wood is too dark after the varnish, once dry it will get lighter (unless you have selected a dark varnish, in that case it's OK, I hope)
Let it dry for some minutes and you´ll be done!
Probably the most difficult part will be to select the necklaces to display, I'll better take some time to do a couple more displays just to avoid having any resent necklaces.
Hope you liked today's project, is a really simple proposal and you can either hang it on a wall, put over a vanity desk or whatever place you have that can host your minimalist new favorite display.
Do you have a favorite fancy necklace?